SEO That Actually Works In 2018 [Updated]
Search engine optimization (SEO) is a continuous process to increase website traffic through organic way by performing On-page, Off-page and Technical SEO.
Wikipedia defines SEO as “Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine’s unpaid results—often referred to as “natural”, “organic”, or “earned” results.”
- On-page SEO and Technical SEO
- Off-page SEO
On-page SEO: On-page SEO is a practice of optimizing things on a website, this includes Keywords, Image Optimization, Internal Linking, and optimizing HTML source code of the page.
On-page SEO factors:
- Titles: The H1 tag should always have the focus keyword at the beginning of the title. Use H2 & H3 tags to break up the content.
- Article or Blog: The introduction of the blog should have a minimum of 80 – 100 words. The article length should be 350+ words, and the article should consist of 3.5% to 4%.of focus keyword. Excessive repetition of keywords will make us penalized by Google.
- The content should be easily readable and a big no to duplicate, plagiarized content.
- Keep the sentences and paragraphs short, and break them up with line breaks. We need to write for the users, not for the search engines.
- Every blog should have a good mix of Images, Videos, and Infographics.
- Write evergreen articles or blogs and keep updating the blog with new content. Content freshness and relevance to the keyword are important in SEO game.
- Always use long tail keywords, and write articles or blogs based on Google Instant search suggestions.
- Links from high domain authority and high page rank sites will help us by sharing link juice to rank on top.
- Internal linking is also important on-page SEO factor; it gives the user to read more and spend more time on the site.
- Poor landing page experience makes user exit from the site without performing any action. Recommended bounce rate should be in between 26% to 40%.
Optimizing Images: We should add proper Alt text to optimize the images. It is very important to focus on quality and how relevant the images are.
- Proper URL Structures: URL of the article should have the focus keyword.
- User-Friendly Navigation: Site should be easy to navigate from one category to another.
- User-friendly 404 pages: Use Google webmaster tool and fix the errors. Google webmaster tool can also be used for finding broken links, crawl errors, robot.txt issues, sitemaps, and popular blogs on the site.
- Mobile First Index: Google’s recent update includes Mobile First Index, it means it’s always recommended to have a mobile-friendly site and it needs to load fast. The structured data on the mobile site and the desktop site should be same.
- Server Location: Website server location needs to be in India for better ranking in India.
Off-page SEO: Off-page SEO is also known as Off-site SEO, this process mainly focused on Backlinks that are naturally and manually built, Directory Submissions, Social Media shares, Guest blogging, Influencer marketing, Content promotion or Content marketing.
Off-page SEO factors:
- Link Building: Submitting the website links on various web directories. This includes Blog directories, Forum signatures, Comment link, Video submission, and Image submission. It’s always recommended that to get 20% of backlinks to the homepage and 80% to the rest of the site.
- Good Backlinks: It is important to get backlinks from related websites. For instance, if we are a health-related website, we need to try to get backlinks from Practo, Apollo Hospitals, Narayana Hrudayalaya etc.
- Social Media: The backlinks that we get from Social Media are no-follow links, but still those links work for SEO. Writing answers on Quora, post article links on Google+ page and communities, having a Wikipedia page, Reddit, etc.
We need to audit our site after performing on-page and off-page SEO and find out where we are lacking and keep repeating the above factors till we get on top of the search result.